why herbal medicine?
Herbal Medicine, sometimes referred to as Herbalism, phytotherapy or botanical medicine, is the use of herbs for their therapeutic or medicinal value. Plants generally have a specific affinity to a specific organ or tissue to which they then aim to restore the normal function and balance.
Herbs or plant-based medicines have been used worldwide for thousands of years and are still the primary form of medicine currently used by approximately 70% of the world’s population.
It is well known that over 60% of pharmaceutical drugs, including various antibiotics, heart medications and the most potent painkillers, are plant-derived, but when a plant’s biologically active ingredient is removed from its companion ingredients, it doesn’t always affect the body as safely.
So, while modern medicine has much to offer, many people are turning away from drug solutions which provide a band-aid effect but fail to find the underlying cause of the problem. This is especially true of chronic conditions, where the long-term side-effects of the drugs often create a host of other problems.
The basic philosophy of herbal medicine is to treat the root causes of disease and thus to restore the body to a state of equilibrium. A herbalist, therefore, seeks to identify the underlying causes to alleviate the symptoms.
Using traditional and energetic diagnostic approaches, Herbal Medicine is particularly effective in treating many of today’s chronic and acute conditions, including:
- Digestive problems
- Frequent colds & flu
- High blood pressure
- Sleep disturbances
- Mild anxiety and depression
- Low energy levels
- Concentration problems
- Acid reflux
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Many skin conditions
As a clinical hypnotist (CH), I help my clients to identify unfavourable conditions that may be the possible causes of an emotionally produced illness. These causes are seldom consciously known, but hypnosis gives us a direct path to the inner mind that is otherwise inaccessible. It can bring a client into conscious awareness, giving valuable insights into personal problems and the patterns of thinking and behaving that may predicate or exacerbate these problems or illnesses. Hypnosis is not available through this clinic to international or long-distance clients.
I had a very difficult tooth implant where the post was not seating and healing properly. The dental surgeon wanted to take the post out and begin again, but with Dorothy’s help we turned the situation around and saved the implant. He was amazed that we pulled it off.
THE INITIAL HERBAL CONSULTATION: WHAT TO EXPECT
The initial consult will be set up once the Intake Form (medical history) has been sent to us and the NutriBody Analysis questionnaire has been completed online and returned. Gathering a wide range of information will help me to develop a holistic picture of your health and possible causes of your symptoms and conditions.
Long distance clients will also need to send in a signed permission form that you will receive from this office prior to the initial consult.
It is recommended that you allow 2-3 hours for the initial office consultation. Office clients need to bring with them the following:
- All allopathic/pharmaceutical medications they are taking
- All medical reports they may have from the past 2 years
- All alternative/natural supplements and products they have been taking
It is important to have the actual product, not just a list.
We will review your medical history, the medications and supplements you are taking and why, discuss your primary health concerns and through questioning, investigate any other important contributing factors to your health and wellness, such as your diet and lifestyle. By tapping into your energetic field, we will find out how your whole body is functioning. It is very important to gain information on all topics in order to understand your general health and construct a treatment plan best suited to you.
Follow-up visits generally take from 1 to 1 ½ hours. During a follow-up visit, we will have a further discussion to evaluate your progress, to assess the previous treatment plan and to plan the next stage of healing. The frequency of follow-up visits varies with each client and depends on desired health goals, personal needs, and progress.
Initial Consultation – in office or on Skype (for long distance clients) – $120.00 CAD
Follow-up visits – $75
Short phone call or email consult – $35.00
Phone or email consults requiring a new reading/program – $55.00
* Herbal medicines are not included in the consultation fee.
** Taxes, applicable to each client’s location, will also be added to the above fees.
Please note that we require at least 24 hours for cancellation of an appointment without charge. Missed appointments will carry a charge of $65 plus the appropriate taxes.
Herbs are medicine.It is important that clients understand that the quality of the product is paramount to the success of any program. The supplements recommended or dispensed by this office meet these high standards. International clients who do not have access to the same brands are asked to seek out the recommended supplement, and send the appropriate information to this office before purchasing the items. We will research the products, recommend which is best for you, and then formulate your customized program with the appropriate dosages of these preferred products.
WHAT DOES HERBAL TREATMENT INVOLVE?
Your herbal treatment may include:
A tincture: an alcohol-based extract. Alcohol is used to extract the active constituents of herbs. They are more concentrated per volume than in their dried state, and for some, liquids are easier to take.
Tea: a prepared blend of dried herbs to which you add boiling water and generally steep for about 10 minutes.
Capsules: dried herbs encapsulated to make ingesting the herb easier. Capsules are usually made of vegan gelatin.
Homeopathic medicines are more an energy medicine than a material medicine. The higher the potency, the stronger the homeopathic preparation.
Cream: a topical medicine that consists of water-based and oil-based herbal extracts
Salve: a topical medicine made with an oil-based herbal extract and beeswax
Diet: I change to your diet or lifestyle may be necessary in order to bring about healing. This is highly individualized and must take into consideration your age, your condition, work, family, and your genetic blood type.
What supplement brands do we carry?
In an effort to provide our clients with high quality, effective and efficient supplements, the following brands are available:
- UNDA (line of homeopathic preparations)
- Gemmotherapy macerates
- Numbered compounds
- Gammadyn Oligo-Elements
- Schuessler Tissue Salts
- Genestra Brand
- Phytoembryotherapy (Phytogens)
- Homeopathic preparations
- EFA’s Botanicals
- And much more…..
- Nature’s Sunshine Products
- Pure Encapsulations
- Douglas Laboratories
- Young Living Essential Oils
- Les Herbes Pures (a line of wonderfully made tinctures from Québec, Canada)
- Vitamost Corporation
Initial ConsultationLocal Only
- Your initial consultation in the office will take between 2 and 3 hours, and will involve an in-depth patient history, case assessment and discussions of your condition, past treatments, current medications and supplement use, diet and lifestyle. A herbalist needs to take time to get to know you to get a better understanding of what is going on physically, mentally, and emotionally. It is advantageous to come to your first appointment with a medical diagnosis, but even in the event that a person does not come to the visit with a diagnosis, herbal medicine is effective.
- A treatment plan, involving specific dietary advice, helping the individual to develop healthy lifestyle skills and, an individually designed herbal program, is given.
Initial ConsultationInternational Customers
- The initial consultation for international clients is similar but requires less time in direct contact. Once an international client has committed to a consultation, by email, a permission form and two sets of questionnaires related to health history, current health concerns and symptoms, lifestyle and diet are sent out by email and through the Internet. These are lengthy and take a bit of time to fill out and return, but once these are returned to us, you are contacted and we set up a mutually beneficial Skype appointment. The Skype interview and appointment could take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, and at this time we review the analyses of the questionnaires that had been previously sent to Herbal Solutions and continue to work with the client through the interview and energetic analyses of the body.
- Since the products that are available through our office are not always available to international clients, once herbal recommendations have been made, it is the responsibility of the international client to search out and find the products needed to work with the treatment plan. All of this is explained during the Skype consult.
Follow-up AppointmentsInternational & Local
- The timing of subsequent appointments is dependent upon the condition and treatment plan, so timing is completely individualized, and subsequent visits can be two, three, or even six weeks after the initial consult.
- Follow-up appointments generally last from 1 to 1 ½ hours. At this appointment, we review the initial treatment plan, energetically analyse the body’s response to the program, and either continue it or modify it as required. Feedback from clients is extremely important, and consistency and commitment are absolutely necessary for the program to work to its full healing potential.
- International clients will meet with the herbalist at mutually agreed upon times.
- Questions or concerns related to treatment plans can be sent into Herbal Solutions by email. Emails related to these queries do not have a fee unless a new reading or a modification is required to the treatment plan.
- Quick recommendations for spontaneous health concerns that are requested by phone or email will carry of fee of $35 CAD
- More detailed recommendations for spontaneous health concerns that are requested by phone or email, and that will require a more formalized health recommendation treatment plan, will carry of fee of $55 CAD
- Payment: In-office payments can be made with credit card, cash or cheque. Long distance or International clients may pay through Interac money transfer or through PayPal.